Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Aquavit: My go-to quaff

I've been a fan of this Scandinavian spirit since Jean Sue, my late Viking-spirited spouse, introduced me to it. I've been a fan of it ever since, fortified in my love of it on each trip I've made to Norway. It has more akin to gin than vodka, because while flavors are sometimes added to vodka after distillation, herbs and spices are incorporated into aquavit during distillation. Where gin must contain juniper, with other flavorings optional, the required flavor in aquavit is caraway.

I wrote a piece last winter about an exhibition about Scandinavian alcohol traditions, especially squavit, that has been at the Swedish American History Museum in Philadelphia. But hurry up, the show closes Sept. 17.

In case you can't make it, here's the article on the exhibit I wrote for the Philadelphia Inquirer:

Aquavit gets a star turn at th Swedish Amerian Historidal Museum in Philly


No comments:

Post a Comment